According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, around 300,000 of the roughly 16 million American World War II veterans are still alive as of February, 2021. About 370 World War II of these veterans die each day.
The statistics show the youngest veterans are in their 90’s, while the oldest are over 100 years old.
- Over 400,000 Americans died during World War II.
- Over 60 million people were killed during World War II, which was about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion).
- Only about 20% of males born in the Soviet Union in 1923 survived the war.
- Americans used the name ‘Liberty Steak’ to describe hamburgers during World War II to avoid sounding German.
- NationalWW2Museum.com – Frequently Asked Questions
- CNN.com – This 20-year-old wants to interview every WWII combat veteran he can before it’s too late
- NationalWW2Museum.com – WWII Veteran Statistics
- BusinessInsider.com – 21 rare and weird facts about World War II