Before moving to Los Angeles, the Dodgers were based in Brooklyn, New York. The team originated in the 19th century when, because of the dangers of horse-drawn trolleys and carriages, Brooklyn pedestrians referred to themselves as “trolley dodgers.” Because most of the working class fans had to dodge traffic to get to their games, the Brooklyn baseball team named themselves the Dodgers in their honor. When the team moved to Los Angeles in the 1950’s, the name was never changed.
- Whitey Ford was a rookie when Vin Scully became the Dodgers play-by-play announcer in 1950. Scully retired at the end of the 2016 season.
- The Dodgers have been playing games in Dodger Stadium since 1962.
- The Dodgers are owned in part by Magic Johnson.
- CityLab – The L.A. Dodgers Are Named After Terrified Brooklyn Pedestrians
- Wikipedia – Los Angels Dodgers
- KidzSearch – Los Angeles Dodgers