When we are tired our skin gets dull and dehydrated. This results in hollow areas below our eyes and allows dark blood vessels and tissue beneath the skin to show through. The skin under our eyes is the thinnest skin that we have. This gives the appearance of the bags under our eyes that we see. Another possible reason is lack of sleep. Lack of sleep causes fluids to accumulate around the eyelids. This puffs them up so that they cast dark shadows onto the area under our eyes, resulting in baggy looking eyes.
- Newborns make crying sounds but don’t produce tears. Tears start flowing between 4 – 13 weeks of age.
- Humans blink about 12 times every minute.
- Heterochromia is a condition where people are born with two different colored eyes.
- MayoClinic.org – Bags under eyes
- BBC.com – Why do we get bags under our eyes?
- VSP.com – Eyes: 15 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Them