LAST UPDATED: May 21, 2020 by Ryan M
The youngest veterans are in their early 90’s, while the oldest are over 100 years old.
- Over 400,000 Americans died during World War II.
- Over 60 million people were killed during World War II, which was about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion).
- Only about 20% of males born in the Soviet Union in 1923 survived the war.
- Americans used the name ‘Liberty Steak’ to describe hamburgers during World War II to avoid sounding German.
- NationalWW2Museum.com – Frequently Asked Questions
- CNN.com – This 20-year-old wants to interview every WWII combat veteran he can before it’s too late
- NationalWW2Museum.com – WWII Veteran Statistics
- BusinessInsider.com – 21 rare and weird facts about World War II