Listed below are the ten longest place names in the world. I was thinking about doing just city names but there are just too many interesting names of hills, lakes, etc.
1. Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit
Type: This is the full name of Bangkok, Thailand.
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Translation: The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn
Location: Porangahau, New Zealand
Translation: The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the slider, climber of mountains, the land-swallower who traveled about, played his nose flute to his loved one
Type: The is the full name of Los Angeles, California.
Location: Los Angeles, Californa.
Translation: Town of our lady the Queen of Angels of the River Porciúncula
Location: Western Massachusettes
Translation: Fishing Place at the Boundaries, Neutral Meeting Grounds
Location: North West, South Africa
Translation: The spring where two buffaloes were killed with a single shot
Location: Anglesey, Wales
Translation: Saint Mary’s Church in a hollow of white hazel near the rapid whirlpool of the church of Saint Tysilio with a red cave
Location: Navarra, Spain
Translation: The low field of high pen of Azpilkueta
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Translation: Where the wild trout are caught by fishing with hooks
Location: Lapland, Finland
Origin: Unkown. Many think it’s just gibberish.
Type: Railway station
Location: Andhra Pradesh, India
Translation: Venkatanarasimharaju’s city
- The Los Angeles coroner’s office has a gift shop in it.
- It’s illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Boulevard.
- The Hollywood sign originally said “Hollywoodland.”
- It’s illegal to leave your house without underwear in Thailand.